Communication is very important for the running of any company. This is true on the most basic level. For example, if you’re giving someone instructions on how to do something and you don’t do so properly, then they’re not going to do the job right. So communication is important to get the job done. But more than that, communication is also important to make sure your employees are happy on the job. Communication can help you to find out if your customers are happy with your products and services. And communication can help you to grow and develop your company in the direction you want it to grow. So here are 5 tips to help you make sure that communication in your office flows smoothly:
- In-person contact: Keep in mind that it is actually most efficient to communicate in person. When you’re sending a text, an email or a memo, you’re not explaining yourself as fully as you would be in person. So try to increase communication in person.
- Ask questions: Often, employees may feel silly about asking the questions they have. So once you are finished saying what you have to say, ask them if they have any questions.
- Meetings: Often, office meetings get pretty long and boring, and they don’t accomplish anything. So try to keep meeting short and to the point.
- Brainstorming: The only exception to the short-meeting-rule is when you are brainstorming. These sessions can go as long as you want, as long as everyone isn’t exhausted. The only rule you need to follow is not to criticize anyone’s idea. Let them keep flowing.
- Individuality: An important component of good communication is individuality. Everyone in your office needs to have some freedom to do what they want—to decorate their cubicles as they want, to come up with ideas that they want and to work on them, at least some of the time. Make sure you give them this freedom.
Try implementing these five tips to see an improvement in communication in your office.